Sunday, July 26, 2009

Post about surgery

Last thursday I was in the OR again for the entire day. This time it was much more fun for me, since I didn't get lost or locked out. Also I was able to pop in and out of different surgeries this time since I knew the drill. I got to see a Liver transplant, which was very interesting. It took the entire day. The anesthesiologists started at 9 AM and the actual surgery started at 11 AM and they finished at around 4:30 PM. With no breaks or resting. And they were standing up the entire time. During the middle one of the nurses pointed out to me the difference between the liver that was going in and the liver that was coming out. But I didn't need her to show me anyone could easily tell the difference and which one was the healthy one and which one was not. The patient needed a new liver because he is an alcoholic, and his was no longer functioning properly. The surgery went well and I wish him a speedy recovery. I got a free lunch again, which is the best kind of lunch there is. And I saw a bunch of people who I met the week before, even though I was following a different doctor. It was a good day, hopefully I'll have time to do a second post today about the lab since some very interesting things are happing there now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wes- I'm really enjoying keeping up with your posts. Great job telling the stories.

    ReplyDelete